Many believe that as personal mobility and smart connectivity are combined, driver assistance systems will eventually morph into fully autonomous vehicles that feature V2V and V2X connectivity. At an SAE 2015 World Congress management program, a panel of industry experts gave their insight into the technologies that are enabling this glide toward autonomous vehicles and the cost/benefit case for customer safety, simplicity, and satisfaction.
At the link below is the panel’s complete, uncut presentation with slides, video, and chapter notations for easy navigation to topics or individual panelists.
- Topic/panel introductions by Stephan Tarnutzer, DGE Inc. (Moderator)
- View of the state of the autonomous vehicle glide path by Derek Caveney, Toyota Technical Center USA Inc.
- Driving the future—intelligent connected vehicles by Gary Smyth, General Motors Global R & D
- The user perspective by Myra Blanco, Virginia Tech Transportation Institute
- Autonomous vehicles transforming shared mobility by Richard Bishop, Bishop Consulting
WATCH NOW: The “Glide” Path Toward Autonomous Vehicles